First and foremost, it is essential that you thoroughly review the application including the Life in South Africa: Things You Need to Know section.
Complete your application and return it by the stated due date along with your deposit.
Approximately 12 applicants are accepted for each volunteer team. Applications are reviewed by the board and volunteer staff in order to determine eligibility for the volunteer program.
Read below for a general outline of what will be expected of you in the months leading up to your volunteer trip, and during your volunteer trip.
What will be expected of me?
- Attending team meetings whenever possible (this is based on location).
- Covering the cost of your trip which is outlined in full detail in the volunteer application.
- Participating in organization fundraisers.
- Regular communication will be absolutely necessary leading up to departure. You will be expected to reply to emails and messages quickly and accordingly so that all arrangements can be completed efficiently.
- Ability to function as a member of a team.
- Ability to live with other team members with very little opportunity for free time and little personal space.
- FLEXIBILITY IS KEY!!
- Willingness to participate in whatever activity or project the volunteer team is completing during your trip.
- Openness to new cultures and ability to adapt quickly to cultural expectations.